Windsor Park Infill Info

To contact the league about a development question, send an email to   Or contact the Infill Liaison Team directly.

Infill Development in Windsor Park

Windsor Park has seen significant residential infill development starting in the late 1980s. Infill development is expected to continue as the original housing stock in the neighbourhood, built primarily in the 1950s and 60s, wears out.

The main form of infill development in Windsor Park is the single family house, including some “skinny” houses on subdivided lots. Other forms of infill are possible, such as garden suites and semi-detached housing, and some have been built in the neighbourhood.

Resources about infill in Edmonton for Windsor Park residents

The City of Edmonton has prepared an Infill Construction Guide to provide information for and assist neighbours of infill, community leagues, developers and builders with the infill process.

The Neighbours of Infill Checklist  (checklist is in pdf format in file) suggests what steps to take to protect your property when demolition and construction is planned on the property next to yours.

Windsor Park is considered one of Edmonton’s 100+ mature neighbourhoods. This term is applied to any neighbourhood in the city that was developed before 1970. The Mature Neighbourhood Overlay is a set of regulations in Edmonton’s Zoning Bylaw that apply to low density residential development in Windsor Park and other mature neighbourhoods in the city. The purpose of the overlay is to ensure infill development is reasonably compatible with existing development, recognizing that housing styles change over time.

Opportunities for Input—Residents and Community League

When a development proposes to vary one or more regulations in the Mature Neighbourhood Overlay (MNO), the City sends a consultation letter to nearby residents, property owners and the community league. This letter provides:

  • Information about the MNO variance and any other variance in the development application
  • contact information for the City’s Development Officer and the developer
  • a deadline of 21 days to submit comments.

The community league and nearby residents and property owners receive a notice if a development permit has been approved with a variance, either a variance to the overlay or to any other applicable regulation in the Zoning Bylaw. The notice provides:

  • information about the variance(s) that have been approved
  • the right to appeal within 21 days
  • contact information for the Development Officer and the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board.

If a development application is refused and the applicant appeals, nearby neighbours and property owners and the community league are informed of the appeal, the hearing date and the opportunity to provide input online and in person.

In the league’s experience, sometimes a prospective new neighbour or a developer will approach residents face to face who live near the proposed development or variance and ask for support or consent before the resident has had the opportunity to fully review or understand the proposed development or variance. It is difficult to say no to someone face to face, and if support or consent is given in this circumstance, it will be used by the prospective new neighbour or developer to support their plan with the City, or to support a later appeal if the City does not approve the plan.

The league suggests exercising caution if you are approached in this way. You have every right to decline to give support or consent until you fully understand the proposed development or variance and its potential impact on you and your property.

Role of the Windsor Park Community League

When the Windsor Park Community League receives a notice, the league’s Planning and Development Committee:

  • reviews the plans and meets with the Development Officer
  • provides feedback to the City
  • discusses concerns with the developer and neighbours
  • considers whether to appeal to the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board or to support the City’s decision if the application has been refused and the applicant appeals.

The league can help residents review plans and deal with infill construction problems upon request.

To contact the league about a development question, send an email to   Or contact the Infill Liaison Team directly.